We’ve talked about Paper Sizes and their uses in our previous articles. But you must have noticed that out of all the ISO 216 Standard Paper Sizes, Size A4 is the one that is the most used Paper Size. It is used for printing, business documents, legal documents, books, letters, and so on. Almost every scene is well suited to be helped with an A4 Size Factsheet. Hence, we must know everything about this size that is used worldwide. Why don’t you check with us if you know everything that we have to state about the A4 Size? Up for the challenge? So, let’s go!
Also, Learn about Origami Paper, here.
Dimensions, Area & Aspect Ratio of A4 Size Factsheet
A4 Size Paper is the 5th size in the ISO 216 A Series Paper Sizes. It is the 5th largest size. Series papers are generally used for business, commercial, legal and home purposes but not for architectural purposes. A Series Papers are also the smallest sized sheets among the A, B, C, D, and E Series Paper Sizes.
The Aspect Ratio – the ratio length: breadth – of A4 Size Paper is √2:1 (1.414:1).
- The Dimensions of A4 in millimeters are 210 mm x 297 mm.
- The Dimensions of A4 in centimeters are 21 cm x 29.7 cm.
- The Dimensions of A4 in inches are 3 in x 11.7 in.
- The Dimensions of A4 in yards are 229 yd x 0.325 yd.
- The Area of A4 in square meters is 06237 sq. m.
- The Area of A4 in square millimeters is 62370 sq. mm.
- The Area of A4 in square inches is 67369 sq. in.
- The Area of A4 in square feet is 67134 sq. ft.
- The Area of A4 in square yards is 07459 sq. yd.
- 1:1.4142 (1:√2) (width:height) is aspect ratio of A4 paper.
Comparison of A4 Size Paper with Other ISO 216 Standard Sizes
- Area of A4 is 1/16 times that of A0 Size Paper.
- Area of A4 is 1/8 times that of A1 Size Paper.
- Area of A4 is 1/4 times that of A2 Size Paper.
- Area of A4 is 1/2 times that of A3 Size Paper.
- Area of A4 is two times that of A5 Size Paper.
- Area of A4 is four times that of A6 Size Paper.
- Area of A4 is 8 times that of A7 Size Paper.
- Area of A4 is 16 times that of A8 Size Paper.
- Area of A4 is 32 times that of A9 Size Paper.
- Area of A4 is 64 times that of A10 Size Paper.
Comparison of A4 Size Paper With Sizes NOT INCLUDED in ISO 216 (The US and other Imperial Sizes)
- A4 is very close to the US Letter and Legal Paper Size regarding Dimensions.
- Regarding length, A4 is 18 mm (0.7 in) longer than US Letter Size but 59 mm (2.3 in) shorter than US Legal Size.
- Regarding breadth, A4 is 6 mm (0.2 in) shorter than both US Letter and US Legal Size.
- A4 is very close to the Imperial Foolscap Paper Size in terms of Dimensions.
- In terms of length, A4 is 33 mm (1.3 in) shorter than Imperial Foolscap Size.
- Regarding breadth, A4 is 7 mm (0.3 in) longer than Imperial Foolscap Size. This was all about Non ISO A4 Size Factsheet.
Weight of A4 Sheets
Quality and thickness of Paper are generally determined by the gsm (grams per square meter) of the paper.
- A4 Size Paper of 80 gsm weights 5 grams (0.17637 ounces).
- A4 Size Paper of 100 gsm weights 25 grams (0.22046 ounces).
- A4 Size Paper of 160 gsm weights 10 grams (0.35274 ounces).
You can find more information on paper weights here.
Untrimmed A4 Paper Size
We use untrimmed Sizes to minimize wastage of the entire sheet due to print bleed. These sizes have dimensions larger than A4 Size Paper and are later trimmed off the edges to cut out the print bled parts.
- RA4 (Raw format A4) is 8 mm (0.3 in) more significant than A4 in length and 5 mm (0.2 in) more significant than A4 in breadth. Thus, it is overall 5% larger than A4 area-wise.
- SRA4 (Supplementary Raw format A4) is 23 mm (0.9 in) larger than A4 in length and 15 mm (0.6 in) larger than A4 in breadth. Thus, it is overall 15% larger than A4 area-wise. Hence, this was all about Untrimmed A4 Paper Size & A4 Size Factsheet.
Envelopes for A4 Size Paper
- An unfolded sheet of A4 Paper can comfortably fit in a C4 Size Envelope. Hence, people refer to C4 Size Envelopes as A4 Envelopes.
- A sheet of A4 Paper when folded precisely midway parallelly between the shorter sides, it will comfortably fit in a C5 Size Envelope.
- A sheet of A4 Paper when folded twice to form a quarter of the full-size sheet, it will easily fit in a C6 Size Envelope.
- People mostly use Business DL Envelopes for official and business purposes. A sheet of A4 Paper when folded into three equal sized parallel sections, it will easily fit in a Business DL Size Envelope.
Computerized Magnification Factors for Photocopying, Printing, and Reprographics
- You can enlarge A4 to A0 by using a magnification factor of 400%.
- You can enlarge A4 to A1 by using a magnification factor of 282.84%.
- You can enlarge A4 to A2 by using a magnification factor of 200%.
- You can enlarge A4 to A3 by using a magnification factor of 141.42%.
- Also, you can reduce A4 to A5 by using a magnification factor of 70.71%.
- You can reduce A4 to A6 by using a magnification factor of 50%.
- You can reduce A4 to A7 by using a magnification factor of 35.35%.
- You can reduce A4 to A8 by using a magnification factor of 25%.
- You can reduce A4 to A9 by using a magnification factor of 17.68%.
- You can reduce A4 to A10 by using a magnification factor of 12.5%.
This is all that we had for today A4 Size Factsheet. Feel free to comment and let us know your opinions and also help us improve our content. You can browse our website for more informational articles like this one. Also, you can let us know if we’re missing any other important A4 Size Factsheet.
Why is the A4 paper referred to as such?
A4 is half of an A3, one-quarter of an A2, and one-sixteenth of an A0. Every paper size in the A series is based on A0, which has a surface area of one square meter (but is not a square).
How many different kinds of A4 paper are there?
The ISO classifies paper sizes as A4. It is the most common and commonly used size in copier sheets, and it comes in three thicknesses: 70 gsm, 75 gsm, and 80 gsm.
What is the optimum A4 printing resolution?
The suggested output resolution for images that will be closely inspected, i.e., print sizes up to A4, is 300 pixels/inch. The print resolution can be slightly reduced for larger prints viewed from a greater distance.
Why is A4 the industry standard?
The ISO 216 standard, widely accepted worldwide, includes A4 paper-size sheets. The normal copy paper sheet size is printable in most common home and office printers.
What does A4 paper serve?
For a reason, A4 is the standard paper size. It is the standard paper size for business papers, school reports, flyers, menus, letterheads, and door hangers. As the name implies, it's also the most prevalent letter size in North America.
Is the A4 size standard?
What is the distinction between a drawing sheet and an A4 sheet?
The texture is the initial distinction. Drawing paper is more supple than standard paper. Second, drawing paper is typically thicker than paper, allowing for a more constant stroke while making artwork.
What is the optimum paper quality for printing?
Matte. This paper is one of the most often used since it is appropriate for all everyday printing operations. Matte paper has a white coating that helps the ink dry faster than other varieties of paper, making it ideal for a quick-turnaround document.
How is Paper Made?
Cellulose fibers get collect from several sources and processed into pulp. Pulp mixes with water, placed on a paper machine, flattened, dried, and cut into sheets and rolls.